Thursday, March 18, 2010


Growing up, I was always the kid who hadn't watched last night's episode of Lizzie McGuire. I wasn't usually able to contribute to all the conversations people had about television. That's because I never particularly overly enjoyed watching TV, while Even Stevens was playing, I'd be immersing myself in the Bailey School Kids series. I find that, up until recently, I still could never get all that engaged into a TV show.

And thennnnnnnnnnnn we got Netflix. If you've never heard of Netflix I'll be brief in explaining it to you. An online movie rental service is basically what it is.


However, now it's improved. You don't even have to leave your computer to watch what you want. They've got instant online movie streaming. Legal, of course. You pay one fee a month, and unlimited movies back and forth and unlimited online watching time.


Definitely a bargain.


Netflix offers a variety of amazing, top quality shows. The Office, Skins, Dexter, Weeds, The L Word, Lost, CSI, Heroes, and the list continues.


My favorite shows among that list would definitely have to be Dexter, Skins, and Weeds. I've immersed myself in these television shows, and really, it's kind of a problem. But they're awesome, so it's all right.


Since I've already expressed my love for Dexter, I'll have to dedicate a post to Skins.



I have to. It's mandatory. I've got to profess my love for such a wonderfully raw and powerful show.




Anyways, the show takes place in Britain and centers around a group of pretty wild, fun loving teenagers. Problematic teenagers. I always try to pick my favorite character, but I never can. With each episode I watch and with each character that's introduced, my affection deepens.

The first season was a series of episodes dedicated to helping you get to know each character. They're all so dynamic and they each have little qualities that you can easily find in yourself. They're average teenagers with pretty shitty lives, if I do say so myself.

The second season, my personal favorite, starts to develop more of a concrete story line. The show loses a bit of its humor (not all, definitely still a dramatic comedy), but the dark drama definitely intensifies. Situations arise in which I couldn't imagine ever dealing with.

Some of my favorite characters would definitely have to include

Cassie, the troubled teen, who seems a bit out of touch with reality, dealing with an eating disorder,

Sid, Cassie's significant other, who has a dysfunctional family and is awkward as hell, but cute still,



and Chris, this absolutely adorable, fun loving kid who's a sweetheart, and is quite known for his "fuck it" sort of attitude. Nothing seems to get to him.




Oh, and I definitely can't forget Maxxie, a ridiculously beautiful boy who's homosexual and proud. I love Maxxie.



Saying that those characters are my favorite almost makes me feel bad, as if I'm being disloyal to the others or something. That's how much I love each and every one of them.

What makes the show even better is the fact that they're all so very British! They've all got these adorable accents that differs among characters. It makes me smile when they say "fanks" instead of "thanks"!

One thing that might worry adults watching the show, but only adds to its amazingness, is the amount of partying these kids do. It's ridiculous really. They all drink, smoke, shoot up, pop pills, have ridiculous amounts of sex. No character ends the show having slept with only one person, let's just say that. The episodes can bring from me a variety of reactions. I laugh often, I cry often, I get excited along with the characters, and all the realistic surprises (I can't stand shows that have bizarre turns in storyline. Somehow each unexpected event always fits in nicely with the story line), make me gasp.

One thing that's even more refreshing is it's not like the other shows, where people are groomed and perfect and they all look like they're from hollywood. The kids in this show are all real. None of the people who play each character had any acting experience before the show, with the exception of Tony's character. It's amazing how believable and real they prove to be. And look where it got Dev Patel (Slumdog, anyone?).

In summary, this show's about as amazing as it gets.



No comments:

Post a Comment