Wednesday, May 19, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Shopping:

Can I just explain how good it makes me feel when I'm out looking for clothes, and I try on something that accentuates my best features and hides my blemishes. Something that fits my style perfectly without being too conservative or too revealing. Something that makes me feel good about myself. Reading: I read a whole lot. I used to much more than I do now, though, which is really a shame. I remember summers where I'd volunteer at the library. I'd volunteer once or twice a week, and each time I'd come home with a purse full of books, 6, 7, 8 sometimes up to 10 chapter books from each section of the library. Biography, adult fiction, science fiction, nonfiction, young adults. Every section. I'd then return them all the next week I'd come to do my service, and so the process would repeat. I'm also quite a speedy reader, it's one of the very few talents that I seem to posses. I can read a full length, adult chapter book in a day, easily. The 7th book of Harry Potter, against my own wishes, I finished in a matter of hours. Give me a book and let me devour it and I'll give it back deliciously finished up in a time shorter than you'd expect.

Friends:

I can't even begin to describe how much I love my friends. This year, I'd lost a group of people that I'd been friends with for years, and that was hard for me to deal with. Luckily I had the support of my old friends to comfort and support me all the way through. Then I made a whole other group of friends. While they may not be going to Kennedy next year, it's reassuring to know that they'll only be a half hour drive away. And there's really nothing more I love than sitting with my very best friends and doing the silly things any group of girls would do. I love the spontaneity of it all, the last minute phone call telling me to drop whatever I'm doing, get myself lookin' good and ready for a good, fun, long night out. And I love the fact that whenever I'm down I can call my best friend up and rant and rave and let it all spill out of me, with her nodding empathetically on the other end of the line.

Family:

As much as I complain about my parents, as any teenager does, I cannot help but absolutely adore them. Their overprotectiveness, from an outsider's point of view, may seem charming and cute, but when you're the direct recipient of such worried paranoia, it can get old quickly. I admire my father and his intelligence, and my mother and her tolerance and for taking on the traditional, home cooking, home making, role of a mom. I know that I can always, always count on my sister. She's sweet, naive, and has such a soft personality. She's the middle child, so she's always pretty chill and relaxed. My little brother; however, is one of the most hyper child that you may ever meet. His temper tantrums, and impatience can get pretty annoying, but he's absolutely adorable and sometimes just says the darndest things.
I love my extended family, as well. I love my grandmother, my aunt, my cousins, and all my uncles. It's like that game of trust, you know? The one where you have to close your eyes and let yourself fall, hoping that somebody'll be there to catch you. When I picture my family, I picture them, arms outstretched, ready to catch whatever stumble I may take. All 10 of my uncles, my aunt, my cousins, my grandparents, my siblings, and my parents. There's such a strong sense of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment